Natascha Petrinsky was born in Vienna. After her graduation as a lawyer, she studied singing at the University of Tel-Aviv with Tamar Rachum and began her international career at the New Israeli Opera Tel-Aviv.
She has performed the roles of Medea (Giasone, Cavalli) at the Spoleto Festival USA, the Verdi roles of Amneris (Aida) at the Oper Leipzig, Azucena (Il Trovatore) and Maddalena (Rigoletto) at the Ravinia Festival Chicago, the Wagner roles of Kundry (Parsifal), Venus (Tannhäuser) at the Teatro dell′Opera di Roma, Brangäne (Tristan) with Opéra National de Bordeaux, Wellgunde at the Bayreuther Festspiele + De Nederlandse Opera Amsterdam and Waltraute (Götterdämmerung) at La Fenice Venice. She also sang the title role of Phaedra (Henze) at the German State Opera Berlin, Maggio Musicale Florence and La Monnaie Brussels, where she as well performed Hannah (La Lumière Antigone, Bartholomée) + Klytämnestra (Elektra). She sang the title role of Carmen in Helsinki, Bilbao and Caracas (G. Dudamel), Varvara (Kát’a Kabanová) at the Flanders Opera, Teatro Real Madrid and De Nederlandse Opera Amsterdam. There she was also heard as the Vixen (The Cunning Little Vixen) and Judith (Bluebeard’s Castle), which she sang additionally in Nancy and Dublin. Further important roles include Jocaste (OEdipus Rex, Stravinsky) at Opera North + Edinburgh International Festival, Miranda in The Tempest (T. Ades) in Strasbourg and Mère Marie in Les Dialogues des Carmélites (Opera Bilbao). At La Scala di Milano she sang Klementia (Sancta Susanna, Hindemith), Sonyetka (Lady Macbeth of Mzensk, Shostakovitch) and Baba the Turk (The Rake’s Progress). In spring 2010 she will return to La Scala di Milano for Gräfin Geschwitz in Lulu (D. Gatti).
Ms Petrinsky’s concert repertoire includes Mahler’s 2nd (Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) and 3rd Symphony (Israeli Philharmonic under Giuseppe Sinopoli + Bergen Philharmonic under Andrew Litton + Netherlands Philharmonic under Hartmut Haenchen), Das Lied von der Erde (Covent Garden + RAI Naples with Jeffrey Tate), Des Knaben Wunderhorn (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra under Riccardo Chailly + BBC Scottish Symphony under Ilan Volkov), Bruckner’s Te Deum (London Symphony Orchestra under Michael Tilson Thomas), Beethoven’s 9th (RAI Orchestra Turin + NHK Orchestra with Kazushi Ono) and Missa solemnis (Santa Cecilia Roma with Giuseppe Sinopoli), Mendelssohn’s Elias (Deutsches Symphonie Orchester Dresden), Verdi’s Requiem (Bamberger Symphoniker with Giuseppe Sinopoli), Berlioz’ La Mort de Cleopatre (Spain) and Elgar’s Sea Pictures (Spain).
The artist has worked with Maestri such as Giuseppe Sinopoli, Riccardo Muti, Jeffrey Tate, Michael Boder, Ingo Metzmacher, Andrew Davies, Roberto Abbado, Riccardo Chailly, James Conlon, Pinchas Steinberg, Gustavo Dudamel, Christoph Eschenbach, Hans Graf, Hartmut Haenchen, Kazushi Ono, Lothar Koenigs, Marko Letonja and Donald Runnicles.
CD recordings include:
- EMI Obsessions, Wagner and Strauss Scenes with Deborah Voigt (Bavarian Radio Orchestra with Richard Armstrong)
- Teldec Carmen, the role of Mercedes (Bavarian State Opera Orchestra with Giuseppe Sinopoli)
- BMG Ariadne auf Naxos, the role of Dryade (Teatro San Carlos Orchestra under Gustav Kuhn)
Hybrid Der Ring, Das Rheingold + Götterdämmerung, the roles of Wellgunde + Waltraute (Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra under Hartmut Haenchen)
Current and future engagements:
- La Scala di Milano: Schumann: Szenen aus Goethes Faust: February 2010
- La Scala di Milano: Gräfin Geschwitz in Lulu: April 2010
- Oper Leipzig: Amneris in Aida: May - June 2010
- Theater an der Wien/Wiener Festwochen: Gräfin Geschwitz in Lulu: June 2010
- L.A. Philharmonic Orchestra: title role of Carmen (Gustavo Dudamel) at the Hollywood Bowl: August 2010
- La Monnaie Brussels: Varvara in Katja Kabanova: October - November 2010
- CD recording, Sony Records: Prinz Orlowsky in Die Fledermaus: November 2010
- Teatro Real Madrid: La Pagina en Blanco, world premiere in February 2011, Die Amme in Strauss′ Die Frau ohne Schatten at Vlaamse Opera and Rheingold Fricka at la Fenice in Venice, Eboli in Don Carlo in Bogota, followed by La Sphinge and Jocaste in Oedipe at La Monnaie, Brussels.
- In 2012 the artist sang the 3 Mezzo roles in Puccini′s Il Trittico at the Opera de Lyon, Bianca in Florentinische Tragoedie at the Liceo Barcelona, Sphinge/Jocaste in Oedipe at Teatro Colon, Buenos Aires, Hypolita in Midsummer Night′s Dream at the Opera di Roma, followed by Venus in Tannhaeuser in Santiago de Chile, Clytemnestre in Gluck′s Iphigenie en Aulide in a CD recording and in concerts in Cologne and Paris as well as Graefin Geschwitz in Lulu at La Monnaie Brussels and Judith in Bluebeard′s Castle in concerts in Barcelona. The year 2013 starts with Graefin Geschwitz, Lulu, in Cardiff, WNO, followed by Eboli, Don Carlo, in Seoul, her first Herodias, Salome, in Germany, concerts with Maesto Jeffrey Tate in Hamburg and continues with Rheingold Fricka in Monte Carlo.